- Kick off web of the week this week with Horror Panegyric on Supervert – an essay-length digest of the book of the same name, a critical overview of David Britton/Michael Butterworth/John Coulthart et al.’s impossible to find/even harder to untangle verboten splatterpunk masterpiece Lord Horror, its sequels, and the variant iterations of the icon in other media. The essay itself is tight and very readable, and most interestingly through it you can find throughout and parrallel extracts from all three super-obscure novels (Lord Horror, Motherfuckers: The Auschwitz of Oz and Baptised in the Blood of Millions).
- Have a link to the Savoy site as well, and try and untangle the whole bloody (very, very bloody) mess of it out for yourself.
- Also from Supervert, thanks very much had a lot of fun there recently, well look – you’re not 19 so you don’t want to read Confessions of an English Opium Eater, you don’t want to bore yourself crazy so forget Recollections of the Lakeside Poets, but look here, De Quincey’s seminal, twisted, never-in-a-bookshop essay On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts as a nice little .pdf for you to download and read and that. Loads of other Opium Tom goodness there too.
- But that’s all a bit dark and nasty, so try this. No matter what kind of a nerd this poor kid grows into, he will be able to look back on this moment and feel comfortable in the knowledge that for one wonderful day he was indeed the most excellent thing on Planet Earth: (b)
- Why are you reading this blog? Why aren’t you, right at this very moment, reading this one? Hmmmm HMMMMMM! The good old Brutal One over at Teatime Brutality just keeps on churning out some of the best comic blogging on the internet and you owe it yourself to go and have peek. The latest topic: narrative, and why chucking beginnings, middles and endings out the window can be a very good thing. All that via ongoing superhero comics, Final Crisis, Doctor Who, Big Brother, Charlie Chaplin, The Sims, Faye Weldon, Dickens, ‘n’ more.What’s that? You don’t like Doctor Who? Big Brother is boring? I don’t particularly like them either, but you know what?Shut up go read won’t regret shush (z)
Share on Facebook